News & Events
Making the ICU Safe Patient Limits Law Work for You and Your Patients -- An MNA Program on the Role of the ICU Staff Nurse in Developing an ICU Acuity Tool
Visit the MNA Calendar to register for ICU programs
The ICU staffing law went into effect in Massachusetts in the fall of 2014. Hospitals must follow the law now, and should be reported if they are not in compliance. In addition, the Health Policy Commission, which was charged with developing the regulations to implement the law, created deadlines for hospitals to develop ICU-specific acuity tools. This work will be done for each ICU by a designated committee, composed of at least 50 percent staff nurses (who are not managers) in each ICU in which the acuity tool will be deployed.
The MNA’s focus now is on assisting ICU nurses to:
1) Understand the law and regs;
2) Choose the 50 percent committee staff nurse membership; and
3) Review MNA’s sample acuity tools, based on criteria well known to RNs, using primary diagnosis and/or care needs.
These tools were developed with extensive input from our members and specialty organizations and can be the basis for staff nurse input in their hospital's committee work. Come to talk about the acuity tool development process and hear about ways to protect your practice in your own unit as the tool for your unit is developed.
NO REGISTRATION FEE • NON-MEMBERS WELCOME
Join us at one of these programs:
- Thursday, September 10 • Florian Hall, Boston • 4-5:30 p.m. or 8-9:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 16 • Beechwood Hotel, Worcester • 8:30-10 a.m., 4-5:30 p.m. or 8-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 22 • Inn at Longwood,* Boston • 8:30-10 a.m., 4-5:30 p.m. or 8-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 29 • Florian Hall, Boston • 5-6:30 p.m. or 8-9:30 p.m.
Light refreshments will be served at all sessions.
Visit the MNA Calendar to register for any of these ICU programs
Please note: These program locations were selected because hospitals in these areas have the earliest deadlines for developing an ICU acuity tool.
*Parking for the morning and afternoon sessions in the hotel garage will be charged the hourly rate. Entrance after 5 p.m. will be charged the event rate of $8.00.
Please reserve your space with Phyllis Kleingardner, 781-830-5794 or AcuityTool@mnarn.org. You can also register at massnurses.org. Be sure to include which session you will attend.